For the next session, Joanie asked us to reflect on:
1. What do I recognize I need as a result of the losses and trauma?
2. What can I do to obtain what I need?
3. What do I do about situations that have no resolution?
Session 2 began with a review of the Key Concepts, sharing the answer to #1 above and Strategies for Coping. These included:
1. Realize that previous life losses may surface and affect dealing with current losses, especially if we have not resolved them.
* Practice healthy coping:
* Increase positive thinking, feelings, visualization, and self-talk.
* Limit time with news, social media, and discussing negative topics.
* Give and receive kindness and gratitude; help others.
* Create structure and routine, including daily physical exercise, mind-stretching activities, social connections, various experiences, learning something new
2. Manage stress by relaxation techniques, good nutrition, enough sleep, a positive outlook and gratefulness.
3. Recognize the impact of current limitations on you. Focus on what really matters now.
4. Move forward.
Participants appreciated Joanie’s ability to lead us to deeper reflection on and sharing of our life’s experiences.